Friday, July 23, 2021

Convergence of History

 

I have always believed that the most important factor contributing to who we are is the way in which we conduct our individual lives. Certainly, our genetic makeup, how we were raised and events along our journey all contribute to who we have become. Nonetheless, we have the ability and responsibility to make meaningful decisions about who we are today.

Having made this basic affirmation, I share the widespread fascination with our genealogy.  When I was young, I was told about the Webster line of our heritage, and that I am related to Noah Webster, the editor of the original Webster’s Dictionary. Somehow, that has not influenced my ability to spell.  Honestly, I am very thankful for the spell check feature on my computer.

In 2011, my spiritual journey led me to Quakerism.  Even as a child, I knew that my maternal grandfather was a Quaker and remember seeing him sit and read his bible in the evening.  For some reason which I will never know, my mother did not follow in this tradition.  Instead, she embraced my father’s religion, Episcopalian.

At my first Quaker meeting, I had a deep sense of ‘coming home’.  As I have learned about the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), I have realized that I have always held a deep sense of their primary testimonies, simplicity, peace, integrity, community and equality.  Furthermore, I have been gratified by the role of Quakers in the abolition movement, underground railroad, women’s rights issues, peace movement and racial and social justice concerns.

My oldest son is quite interested in researching family heritage.  A few years ago, he informed me that our Quaker lineage through my mother’s line can be traced all the way back to the1600’s. It is very possible that my ancestors actually knew George Fox, the founder of the Quaker movement.

I find this fascinating but am not sure what to make of it.  Is it possible to inherit a religious persuasion?  I can’t imagine how.  I am more inclined to think that certain personality traits are genetic, and these may predispose us to be drawn towards particular social or spiritual perspectives.

In complete contrast to this is my paternal lineage.  Dad was born and spent the majority of his youth in Georgia.  Although there was never any talk of it, I always suspected that there had to be some rather unpleasant history there. 

I knew that my paternal grandfather had been a member of the KKK because Dad shared that when he was a young boy, my grandmother took him to a KKK march.  As he watched the procession, he recognized his father’s shoes protruding out from under his sheet and began to shout, “There’s Daddy!  There’s Daddy! I can see his shoes.”, His mother quickly tried to silence him because, although everyone knew who was in the march, the sheets and hoods were supposed to conceal their identity.

About ten years ago, I took a DNA test.  In light of my southern roots, I anticipated the possibility that I had at least a few African American genes floating around somewhere.     To my surprise, the only non-European genes were from the middle east and India.  I was thankful to discover that I wasn’t a total cracker.

More recently, I learned that there are documents indicating that my paternal ancestors were slave owners.  I will admit, I am mortified by this revelation.  I recognize that I am not personally responsible for their actions, but I am deeply grieved by them, nonetheless.

As I reflect on my heritage, it is quite interesting to consider the possibility that during the Civil War, my paternal ancestors were probably fighting to defend their presumed right to own slaves while my maternal ancestors may have been involved in aiding escaped slaves as they arrived in the north. If I had been raised in the south instead of in Maryland, would I be inclined to embrace my southern heritage?  Would I be waving a Confederate battle flag and protesting the removal of Confederate statues?  Instead, I wear a wristband which I designed that reads, “Black Lives Matter to Me.”

Each one of us really is a convergence of history.  We are a genetic soup of dominate and recessive characteristics that culminate into what we identify as ‘me’.  If we take the time to reflect on our origins and who we wish to be, it becomes possible to influence the direction of our lives and perhaps those who will follow after us.  My core belief is displayed at the bottom of each of my emails, “What humanity will be tomorrow depends on who we choose to be today.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment